If you’ve hit December feeling like a deflated airbag, it’ll take more than a Christmas miracle to feel ship-shape in time for a new business year.
A few simple lifestyle changes could make a world of difference to you and your business in 2017. Why not kick off the new year by …
- Centralising rubbish. Get rid of individual desk bins and have only central bins in your office – one for waste and one for recycling. A hard habit to crack, however there are benefits of getting up each time you need to throw something away. It's an easy way to beat the downside of sitting too long.
- Standing when you speak. If you are on the phone, stand while you’re talking. Mobile phone calls? Move around while you talk, or take the opportunity to take the call outside and walk around the block.
- Using the stairs instead. If you usually take the lift or escalator, try taking the stairs all or part of the way instead. Taking the stairs is a great step towards reaching 30 minutes of physical activity for the day.
- Making lunch at home. Prepare your lunch for the next day while you are making the evening meal. Chop extra salad/vegetables or cook an extra portion of your meal and your lunch is sorted.
- Keeping a workplace pantry. Keep healthy emergency supplies in your desk drawer, workplace fridge or glove compartment such as nuts, a tub of low fat yoghurt, tinned tuna or low-salt wholegrain crackers.
- Rethinking the sugary drink. Break the habit of buying sugary drinks from the vending machine and stay hydrated with water instead. Set yourself a water challenge and aim for 1-2 litres per day. Slices of lemon and ice blocks can transform water into something refreshing.
- Snacking better. Eat a variety of fruit, vegetables and whole grains to increase uptake of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Try snacking on a handful of nuts, fruit or chopped vegetables like carrots.
► For more healthy workplace tips, visit healthierworkplacewa.com.au or call 1300 550 271 to talk to an advisor.