WA consumers to slash spending: CCIWA survey

Cost-of-living concerns continue to hit WA households with Western Australians indicating they will slash discretionary spending in the second half of 2024, according to CCIWA’s latest Consumer Confidence survey. 

The June quarter survey found almost four in five (78%) respondents identified cost-of-living pressures as weighing down their outlook on the economy – an increase of five percentage points on the March survey.

The survey found more than half (53%) would reduce or significantly reduce spending at cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars to combat rising cost pressures in the second half of 2024. 

The was followed by a reduction in consumer goods (51%) and travel and holidays (50%).  

DOWNLOAD THE REPORT 

Of the 900 people surveyed, 40% said they would cut back on groceries. 

Those most likely to cut back on spending were renters, with more than three in five (64%) of renting households indicating they will cut back on eating out.  

CCIWA Chief Economist Aaron Morey said despite the cost-of-living measures announced in the State and Federal budgets, many households were still feeling unsettled. 

“The five-percentage point increase in concern about the cost of living shows that even with inflation coming down, the elevated cost of living is still weighing down confidence,” he said. 

“As a result, many households are looking for ways to spend less, and discretionary spending is the most obvious way they can do that.” 

Despite ongoing pessimism around the cost of living, most survey respondents indicated they were confident about WA’s economic outlook, driven by a robust employment market.

Short-term consumer confidence steady

The survey also found: 

  • Short-term consumer confidence has remained steady in the June quarter, with 73% expecting economic conditions to remain the same or improve, with the remaining 27% expecting conditions to worsen. 
  • More than three in five (63%) respondents said interest rates weighed down their outlook on the economy, up eight percentage points since March. 
  • 33% of respondents said the State Government had a positive effect on their confidence, likely a result of the Government delivering a sixth consecutive budget surplus in May. 

“Despite the ongoing cost pressures on households, the WA economy remains resilient thanks largely to the ongoing strength of our employment market,” Morey said. 

“However, the proportion of Western Australians who identify job prospects as a positive for their outlook has been slowly declining over the last 12 months, reflecting the slight loosening in our still very strong jobs market.” 

CCIWA’s Economic reports, including Consumer Confidence, are available exclusively to CCIWA Complete, Advantage and Corporate Members. For more see CCIWA’s Economic Insight page. 

Share This Post

You may also be interested in

More green tape threatens project investment: CCIWA survey
Nearly half of Australian businesses say they are less likely to invest in major projects if approval timelines are lengthened, a CCIWA survey reveals.
Read more »
A money bag in the middle of a maze
Project EOI open: funding barriers for small businesses in defence
A Pilot Fund project, through Defence and other agencies, aims to investigate funding barriers facing small businesses in the defence sector.
Read more »
Australian Parliament House.
‘Nature Positive’ committee to hear from CCIWA despite avoiding WA
A Senate Committee investigating the planned overhaul of Australia’s environmental approvals system holding its only public hearing in Canberra is an insult to WA, CCIWA Chief Economist Aaron Morey says.
Read more »