Meet the International Trade team:
Michael Carter, Manager International Trade & Investment
Michael has more than 25 years’ experience in International Engagement, Business Development and Government Liaison. This has included working in various senior management and marketing roles in the public sector, with the Australian Trade Commission (Austrade), and various private sector international roles in food and agribusiness, road infrastructure, banking and professional consulting in Australia and the United Kingdom.
Michael’s suite of core competencies includes:
- Stakeholder engagement
- Government policy and advocacy
- International business and new business development
- Market entry strategies
- Export business plans
Michael has an extensive network of business contacts internationally and has helped clients to develop trade in Western Europe, The Middle East, North America and Asia.
Michael was previously with Austrade for 12 years of which he spent 8 years overseas as Trade Commissioner to India from 2007 to 2015, as well as a short-term secondment to Malaysia in 2006.
Darren Levy, Trade-Start Adviser
Darren is an International Trade professional with over 20 years import, export, sales and marketing experience to more than 30 countries.
As the Austrade TradeStart Advisor for WA, Darren provides international sales and marketing development and technical cross border trade facilitation to help members and customers safely and profitably navigate trade transactions.
Darren has a demonstrated track record in:
- Drafting and negotiating international commercial contracts
- Agent/distributor and partner search and engagement
- Technical tariff and logistics management
- Market selection, market entry strategies and cross-cultural marketing
- Inbound and outbound product/service compliance requirements
Darren has earned two WA State export awards in international trade development roles and has an extensive international network.
He also completed his Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Journalism at Curtin University.
Bryan Carter, International Trade Adviser
Bryan is an International Trade professional with extensive import, export and supply chain experience.
He has provided expert advice on Free Trade Agreements, import duty mitigation and technical cross border trade facilitation for most of Australia’s major importers and exporters.
Bryan has a demonstrated track record in:
- Facilitating import duty concessions
- Streamlining processes for exporters
- Technical tariff, origin and valuation management
- Obtaining supply chain accreditation from Australian Border Force
- Attending to dumping duty complaints
- Maximising fuel tax credit benefits
- Providing advice on import/export compliance
- Advising on supply chain efficiencies
Bryan has held senior roles in international trade with two global service providers and served as an officer of Australian Customs (Border Force).
His qualifications include a Master of Business Administration majoring in international trade and a Diploma of Business and Commerce (Customs).